Go back to normal view
A CHURCH REFLECTING LIFE & TIMES
St Martin’s Church, Hale Gardens, London W3 9SQ (Mailing address below in blue)
St Martin's Parish Office,
(Rear of Church Hall) Hale Gardens, London W3 9SQ
Open Mondays - Fridays 9.30am - 2.00pm
Tel: 020 8992 2333
Ealing Common Underground Station (District & Picaddilly Lines) 5 minutes walk
Find us: Google Maps
St Martin's church was built to serve the new and growing population developing in West London as a result of the extension of the Piccadilly Line westwards during the latter part of the 19th century.
We pride ourselves on being ‘Church of England’, welcoming and warm (we also have a good heating system!). We are open, liberal and inclusive with a stress on community and fellowship. We celebrate women’s and lay ministry. Members of the congregation often travel a long way to join us.
Our main 10am Service is the Parish Communion but about eight times a year this becomes a non – Eucharistic, Family or All–Age Service. Every Sunday we have Book of Common Prayer 8am services of Holy Communion and a Choral Evensong with sermon at 6.30pm. On Wednesdays we have an informal house Eucharist in the Parish Room, followed by a lively and sometimes noisy Coffee Club. There are two monthly Sunday study groups.
The church was consecrated on St Martin's Day, 11th November 1906 by Bishop Arthur Foley Winnington- Ingram, Bishop of London from 1902 to 1938. During the 1930s vestries were added to the building and during the 1960s a hall and church flat (St Martin’s Cottage) were built.
Amongst distinguished members of the clergy, we remember in particular the Rev’d ‘Harry’ Clement Williams who was vicar from 1920 to 1938. He died in 1986 aged 106, being then the oldest living Anglican priest in the world!
The parish is presently in an interregnum, after the retirement of the Rev’d Dr. Nicholas Henderson. He was originally Priest- in-Charge from 1985 and from 1996 held the living as Vicar until the beginning of April 2018. For many years and until 2013 this was in plurality with our sister church of All Saints, Ealing, with whom we worked closely.
We have a strong tradition of international ministry. There are links with the Diocese of Lake Malawi, Central Africa where Dr. Henderson was Bishop-elect from 2005 – 2009. We are also twinned with St Mary’s Episcopal Church, Arlington Virginia, the Brazilian Dioceses of São Paulo and Brazilia, the Diocese of Guinea in West Africa and in Japan the Diocese of Tokohu.
We host the Japanese Anglican Church (U.K.) with monthly Sunday Bible study and services held in Japanese. Twyford Church of England High School, which uses St Martin’s for school services, is situated within the parish. The Assistant priest, the Revd. Brandy Pearson is Acting Chaplain to the Acton Care Centre for the elderly.